A small and quick weekend away, in the wild surrounded by a fresh environment is a dream for a lot of people. Now, people living millions of kilometers away from the ever wanting Northern Himalayan ranges excitement we have a perfect place for them. Just spend two days and visit the astounding Prabalamchi village near Mumbai. Famous for trekking and camping, this trek is famous during summers. The trek is also one of the calmest and most relaxing treks near Mumbai.
The trek ends at a place called Kalavantin Durg. There are basically two treks and camping sites in the Prabalmachi village that are very popular during the monsoon and pre-monsoon times of the year. The Prabalmachi village is surprisingly some of the less explored places. But this village is very rich in natural habitation of flora and fauna and is also known for its hospitable hosts.
The environment and the view from the top of the trek are unforgettable and extremely panoramic. Family picnics and a weekend away with friends can also be made possible here. One can roam around with the young ones and embrace the beauty of nature. Surrounded by nature, many wildlife photographers are trained or born here. With a vast species of birds, this place is always musical.
Things To Do
Trekking till Kalavantin Durg:
- The high summit of Western ghats at an altitude of 2,250ft is also known as Kelve Teen, Kalavantin Pinnacle, or Kalavantinicha Sulka.
- The most challenging trek in Western ghats, this trek includes stepping up in rocks and climbing billions of stairs.
- The base village for this trek can be easily accessible from Panvel.
- Trekking here is suitable for the fit and of any age group. The Pinnacle is just next to Prabalgad Fort which is yet another trekking spot in Prabalmachi.
- Trek to Kalavantin Durg is not an easy trek, so it is advisable to be fully informed and trained to be a part of this trek.
- Either ride the private or public transport it is easy to reach Kalavantin Durg.
Pabalgad Fort Trekking
- A clear view of the Sahyadri mountain range and western ghats are the real beauty of this trek. 700m above sea level the Pabalgad fort is located on a plateau.
- Used to be a watchtower in ancient times, the Pabalgad fort is a must-see.
- The trekking trail is covered with a dense green blanket of forest and ground. Zigzik’s steps make the trek challenging and adventurous.
- At the top of the plateau, the view is just amazing. The view of the ghats, plateau, and other forts such as the Irshalgad fort and the Kalyan fort.
- A weekend away in the mystical environment is worth a try, and a mist during monsoon time is worth a watch. Pre-monsoon and winter is the time with the highest tourist population but during monsoon, the steps get wet and risky.
- For bird lovers, one can find lots of musical and beautiful birds here both at the top and at the base.
Read Also:- Trekking Places in the Vicinity of Mumbai City
- A very popular thing to do in this heaven of Western ghats is camping. Under starling sky, it is very relaxable to camp down.
- Many locals provide some required amenities and guidelines. Camping is more advisable and enjoyable when trekking to all the near hotspots including the abandoned forts.
- Bonfires and stargazing are just some examples of the activities while camping but there are other numerous activities that can be done when traveling with groups or guides.
- The cold night breeze will realize all the stress of the trekkers at night. The environment at night is very refreshing.
Things To Keep in Mind
- When planning for a trek at Prabalmachi village, it is necessary to have all the information which can also be hard to find as it is not so popular compared to other trekking sites.
- Information regarding weather or any natural calamity is basic.
- Types of equipment must be handy like a dry towel, a few medications, suitable boots, woolen clothes for the night camping, an extra pair of footwear including socks, and packed food.
- The water must also be carried by the trekker, as the climbing can be tiring and there is no service at the top of the trek.